It’s no secret I love a nude lip. It’s my go-to lip color for every day and something I feel the most comfortable in. However, finding the right shade can be a bit tricky. I’m a firm believer that if you have one you love, it can be the most versatile color in your makeup bag. Wear it alone or pair with a bolder color and you can easily create multiple looks.
I’m often showing different swatches on neutral lipsticks on here or my Instagram Stories, but lately, I’ve been seeing more questions pop up asking about my holy grail nude lipsticks. You know, the ones that never leave my purse or I keep purchasing over and over again because they are in fact, just that good.
Below I’ve sourced my top recommendations and a little tip I picked up over the years to help give you that “perfect pout”. I swear, every time I do this, people ask if I got my lips done. For the record, I haven’t, but it makes me feel good to know my lips look full.
Lipcolor: From Left to Right
Tom Ford Liquid Lip Lacquer in “Universal Appeal” | Beauty Counter Gloss in “Opal – Moonstone” | Dior Plump Gloss in “Beige” | Bare Minerals Soft Matte Lipstick in “Peony” | Tom Ford Lipgloss in “Naked” | Dior Lip Pencil in “Grege 186” | Chanel Lip Pencil in “Beige Innocent” | Buxom Lip Liner in “Stealth”
BEST NUDE LIPLINERS
My top two picks are the Dior Lip Pencil in “Grege 186” or the Chanel Lip Pencil in “Beige Innocent”. Both of these are long wear formulas and won’t bleed or smudge throughout the day. They also both include a sharpener and a handy lip brush.
BEST NEUTRAL LIPSTICKS
Tom Ford Liquid Lip Lacquer in Universal Appeal – This is a true liquid matte lipstick. It dries really nice, and will definitely last almost the entire day.
Bare Minerals “Peony” – This is the one I am wearing here. The formula has a soft-matte finish and while it does last for a while, it’s not what I would consider an “all day” wear. I do like this one because it’s not drying, it’s clean and it has nourishing ingredients to keep my lips soft.
Buxom Lip Liner- Stealth – I have purchased this color twice now, and it’s probably one of my most worn colors. I find it to be the prettiest shade of peachy-nude and looks great worn alone or mixed with another color. I do wish it came with a sharpener since its a bigger pencil — that part is annoying. I ended up buying this dual sharpener and it works fine.
BEST NUDE LIPGLOSS
If you want to top your matte lip with a little gloss, these colors are universal and look great really with any shade, bold or neutral: Beauty Counter Gloss in “Opal – Moonstone”, Dior Plump Gloss in “Beige” or Tom Ford Lipgloss in “Naked”.
RECIPE FOR THE PERFECT POUT
- Start by tapping a little highlight on your cupids bow. I like the Tom Ford Glow Drops or you can try a powder highlighter (I like the color Opulence).
- Take your nude lipliner and slightly overdraw your lips. My lower lip is pretty full, so I focus more on my top lip and emphasizing my cupids bow. I also start to fill in my lip starting at the outer corners and pulling the color towards the middle of my lip. I don’t fill my entire lip in, but I do shade the outer corners. This helps keep my lipstick on.
- Find a matte nude lipstick to fill in your lips. Here, I’m using Bare Minerals in “Peony”.
- Take the end of your lipliner brush, or any lip brush, and start to blend the color. I also use this to help “perfect” the cupids bow. I’m telling you, this makes the overdrawn lipliner look very natural and full.
- Take a nude gloss and add a little to the middle of your lips and cupids bow — don’t spread it over your entire lips. This really adds some volume to your lips without being “too glossy”. If you need to, take the lip brush and blend.
Do you have any tips for natural, full lips? Please share! xx Ashley
Amazon Pearl Clips | Fendi Pouch (also love this one) | Mason Pearson Comb | Earrings | Coin Necklace (Similar style here) | Stacking Gold Rings | Spell the Gypsy Dress (more sizes here – I’m wearing it as a top) | Thin Gold Thumb Ring | Beaded Bracelet | Mark & Graham Pouch c/o
Images by Mary Hafner