When it comes to my Spring and Summer beauty routine, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I look for double-duty products that will last during hot Summer days all while keeping that subtle glow. I took these products with me while we were in Mexico and I am excited to share with you some of my current makeup favorites. A few of these are new and some are oldies, either way, you need to know about them!
PS: The Weekend Edit will be coming next week. I’ve been pretty busy with the wedding shower tomorrow, so my content has been slightly pushed back. Thanks for understanding! xx Ashley
LONG WEAR FOUNDATION WITH SPF
I always make sure to use SPF year round, but I pay special attention to my sunscreen during the Spring & Summer. I love that It Cosmetics adds SPF to their popular CC Cream. My favorite is the CC Illuminating Cream 50+ SPF (I wear the color Medium). Ya’ll, this stuff is amazing. I tried the original formula, and it just wasn’t for me. It was pretty thick and while it offered amazing coverage, I find the Illuminating CC Cream to be better suited for my skin. It’s not sheer by any means, but it doesn’t look cakey on your skin either. It was the perfect balance.
I use the CC Cream after my oil-free moisturizer. Honestly, I was a little nervous about trying a foundation with the word “illuminating” in the title. Typically, I don’t go for products with a lot of shimmer and definitely steer clear of the glitter. This was perfect. Absolutely no glitter is in this product but just a soft, subtle, HINT of shimmer. Trust me, it’s very minimal, yet gives your skin a healthy glow. I will be putting my Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Tint to the side, and sporting this all summer long.
Another amazing find is the CC Bronzer. You guys, this is perfect for those who aren’t 100% ready switch foundations. You can pump as little (or as much) bronzer into your original foundation and custom match your skin. I. love. this. I have been using it every day with the Illuminating CC Cream and it’s been so nice to have the perfect color. I use my self tanner every week, so this has made it easy to custom match my skin. If I were going to invest in just one product for your summer makeup bag, this liquid bronzer would be it!
CONTOUR, BLUSH & HIGHLIGHT
- BRONZER: During the Summer, I always like to use a little more bronzer than normal. However, not all bronzers are created equal! I have tried so many different brands: Guerlain, NARS, Benefit, Too Faced, Urban Decay (sadly, the list goes on) and I always come back to the Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder in Golden Light. I like it because there is zero shimmer. (If you’re looking for a little shimmer in your bronzer, then I highly suggest you try the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick…I used this in college and loved it!) I opt for the matte finish because my blush adds a soft shimmer and I will be using a highlighter…I do not want to overdo it. Especially since my face already tends to be on the oily side, I don’t want to be shiny! This is the perfect contouring color to get definition while looking “natural”.
- BLUSH: I have also tried many brands and colors for blush, but the one I always come back to is NARS Blush in “Orgasm”. This blush has received many awards over the last several years and is claimed to be the “best universal shade”. As I mentioned above, it has a soft shimmer, but nothing over done. It’s a beautiful color for Summer!
- HIGHLIGHTER: Using a highlighter is new for me. I haven’t always highlighted and often times wonder, “What’s the point?“. I talked with my friend who is a makeup artist, and she had some interesting information for me. She told me that everyone wants youthful and glowing skin and one way to get that is through highlighting. She said it’s easy to go overboard with this stuff, so it’s best to use a small amount. Apparently, there have been many occasions where people think they can’t see the highlighter, add a ton, then walk outside and are shocked to see how much they put on! (I laughed because I am pretty sure I’ve done that several times) So how do you apply a highlighter? I follow this easy chart (minus the clavicle bone unless it’s a special occasion). I am using the new Afterglow 8 Hour Highlighter in “Sin” I also love The Celestial Powder by Kevin Aucoin and find it very similar to the one by Urban Decay. Be sure to blend with your favorite brush or beauty blender. I use the NARS Ita Kabuki Brush for contouring and the Bobbi Brown Face Brush and Beauty Blender for blush and highlight.
ALL ABOUT THE EYES
- CONCEALER: If you’ve followed me on snapchat or have read my other Beauty Talk posts, you know I love a good under eye concealer. I recently tried this Concealer by Kevin Aucoin. Oh my goodness, amazing! I was using the Bye Bye Under Eye for a few months and while it offered AMAZING coverage it was a little too heavy for me. I had to mix my moisturizer with it because it was so thick/dry and I had some trouble with blending. This concealer pot from Kevin Auicoin is the perfect balance. It is extremely concentrated and offers full coverage, so a very small amount goes a long way. I am really impressed with this product and I find that it to be less drying and much easier to blend than the Bye Bye Under Eye.
- EYELINER: I have used Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Eyeliner for years and always love this waterproof liner. It’s nice because it goes on very smooth. It’s also extremely pigmented, so it shows up really well and will stay on all day. I use this for my waterline too!
- EYESHADOW: It is crucial to find a crease proof eyeshadow during the summer. Especially if you plan on being outside for an extended period of time, you don’t want creases. I use the Long-Wear Cream Eyeshadow (color: Beach Honey) and the Long-Wear Eye Shadow Stick (color: Sunlight Gold) by Bobbi Brown. These are truly amazing and have some serious staying power. I apply with my Sigma 3DHD Precision Brush and it works great for cream eyeshadows.
- MASCARA: I’ve talked about this duo before in my Everyday Makeup Routine and it’s still the best I’ve tried! The Benefit They’re Real Lash Primer is simply amazing. It really adds some serious length to your lashes and the Better Than Sex Mascara adds more length and mega volume. Its a great combo!
Recently I tried the Anastasia Liquid Lipstick and I can now see what all the fuss is about. It is long lasting (like, won’t come off after lunch or sipping on coffee) and this color really is the perfect nude. I am wearing “Pure Hollywood”. Apparently, this color sells out quickly… I would get it fast while you can!
OUTFIT DETAILS: L*SPACE Tunic or Coverup (the fit is meant to be flowy and loose, I am wearing a small) | Rag & Bone Boyfriend Shorts (fit: size down // love the shorts for summer!) | Brixton Straw Hat | Lisi Lerch Tassel Earrings c/o
HOME DETAILS: West Elm Coffee Table | Pottery Barn Brooklyn Upholstered Sofa | Chanel Book Set (I love this set because it comes with three mini books to use for more decor) | Leopard Pillows | White Faux Fur Pillows | Glamorous Rooms Book | Lauren Conrad Style Book | Paper Source Marble Paper (framed in Ikea Frames)
MAKEUP DETAILS: Rebecca Minkoff Makeup Pouch (on sale) c/o | It Cosmetics CC Illuminating Cream with SPF 50+ | It Cosmetics CC Bronzer | Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder | NARS Blush (color: Orgasm) | Makeup Forever Aqua Eyes Eyeliner | Bobbie Brown Stay All Day Cream Eyeshadow and Stick | Beauty Blender