My Medium Chanel 19 has quickly become one of my favorite handbags. I get a handful of questions about this handbag and wanted to put together a detailed review on my honest thoughts on this bag. Below, I’ve put together a full list of the standard details on this bag, but also share my pros and cons.
I bought mine at the Chanel store in Las Vegas in 2019. I have worn it several times since and happy to report it is still one of my favorite bags.
What do you think of the Chanel 19?
- Medium (when I purchased in 2019, I was told mine was the small — they had mini, small and large. However, they have updated the sizing and mine is now considered the medium)
- Shoulder Strap Drop: 19″
- Handle Drop: 3″
- Height: 6″
- Width: 10″
- Depth: 3″
- Ecru (My tag said Ecru but I’ve compared to Light Beige in store and it’s almost identical)
- 100% Goatskin
This is probably the most “risky” purchase I’ve ever made when it comes to bags, yet it has been my favorite bag I own. This is truly a year-round bag and can be worn with anything. I wear with black leggings, oversized sweatshirt and sneakers and it makes you feel like you actually put in effort to get ready…yet you’re really just wearing sweats.
- Durable. Goatskin is one of their most luxe leathers and has held up beautifully. I wear this A LOT and it shows very little wear.
- Wipes clean with a dry washcloth (I spilled coffee on this and was sure I ruined it, but nope. It literally wiped clean off.)
- Interior zip pocked to fit iPhone or cardholder
- Exterior Zip Pocket to fit iPhone or keys
- Chain can be worn as crossbody, long shoulder strap (it doesn’t adjust or come off) or tucked in to wear around your wrist.
Like I said, this was a risky purchase. The cream, goatskin leather makes this a “sensitive” bag and you want to give it a little extra TLC compared to a black leather.
- No bottom hardware
- Risk of denim transfer. This is my number one asked question and *literally knocking on wood* I have had zero issues with this. I also follow the denim test: get a damp white washcloth and rub the denim. If it’s clean, you are probably safe. If there’s any blue on the washcloth, I wouldn’t wear those jeans with it.
- The interior fabric doesn’t look forgiving if a pen or lipstick were to open. Whereas the Prada nylon fabric literally wipes clean. I would 100% use a little makeup pouch to keep all pens and lipsticks safely enclosed.
DO I RECOMMEND?
100% yes. This bag is my favorite and most-worn bag in my closet. I’m so happy with my purchase.
I have said it before, but I almost always buy my designer bags gently used. This was a rare exception. If you are curious about the places I shop for handbags, be sure to check out this post and this post.
If you are looking for a Chanel Medium 19, I rounded up a few places that currently have them available. But as you know, these go quick. Let me know if you get one!
SHOP THE CHANEL MEDIUM 19
Ahhh, you really lost me with this one…For some (and me), the cost of this bag is months and months of mortgage or house payments…also, the almost $600 boots… I know you have to provide content to all income ranges, but when I first started following, I could afford most of your recommendations. Now, not so much. I still wish you and your beautiful family the best!
Thank you for this! I’m turning 30 next month and have been debating on this one. Have you seen the large in person? I want a big bag but I’m worried it’s TOO big. Love this review!
Ashley Robertson says
I’m so glad you found this helpful. I did try the large in person and it was quite a bit larger than what I wanted. I found this to hold quite a bit so I think it just depends on what you need/want. Happy almost birthday! xx AR
I will always be the classic one fan, but also this version is amazing!
How has the chain held up and corners? Any leather pealing? I’m debating between this and the classic flap. Thanks
Ashley Robertson says
The chain has some scratches on the metal, but not a lot considering how much I use this bag. There is no leather pealing or tearing…truly, it’s held up beautifully. The Classic Flap is always a classic (hence the name). I would almost say go Classic Flap if this is your first Chanel. Plus, the Caviar leather is so durable and doesn’t show scratches or wear. Hope that helps! xx AR
Hi, caviar leather…on any Chanel, you’ll be happier!
Ashley, love your blog and IG. 🙂
Just wanted to let you know that your bag appears to be what Chanel calls “large”. The names for the 19 are so confusing. There are 3 sizes: Medium, Large, and Maxi. You have the large. Chanel could have simplified this for us by doing small-medium-large, but for some reason, they didn’t.
I own this bag in the smallest size (Medium) and absolutely love it. Enjoy it!